The City of Marion, located near the center of Williamson County, was established on August 20, 1839. The City was named after the great Revolutionary War hero, General Francis “The Swamp Fox” Marion, from South Carolina. Early law enforcement included a City Marshall and Special Police. James D. Long served as the City Marshall and on November 13, 1905, he was appointed to a newly established position as the first Chief of Police. Chief Long’s salary was $50.00 per month.